Paraplegia is a disturbance of neural function caused by either transaction or compression of the spinal cord.
- Causes are many as :
- accident or trauma causing injury to spinal cord
- inflammation of the spinal cord
- tumour of the cord or metastases
- severe lumbar canal stenosis
- Complication of laminectomy and more.
- Causes may lead to :
- paralysis of both lower limbs
- Hyposthesia or anaesthesia of lower limbs.
- Incontinence of stool & urine
In paraplegia special care must be taken to avoid formation of bed sores, contractures, urinary infection, faecal impaction etc.
We treat the patient alternately in supine & prone position, and found results very much satisfactory.